Wednesday, August 26, 2009

KILL THE MAN WHO QUESTIONS "SUGAR INDUSTRY" LP (2001, Coalition)


A friend recently expressed to me, prompted by my FAILURE FACE post, a lack of knowledge regarding worthwhile 90's hardcore. While this LP may not technically pass specifications, the majority of KTMW?'s time as a band was logged in that erstwhile decade.

Uncompromising fucking hardcore. A lot of times they come across to me like a crustier, slightly more attention-deficit BORN AGAINST. This comparison also holds up lyrically and vocally - the Y chromosome part of the male/female vocal-tradeoff equation has a very McPheetersy yowl at points. (You can't tell from his record, but he went on to AMATEUR PARTY and ARMALITE).

I don't really know what else to say. This record thankfully helped inform my naive view of hardcore and punk as (ideally) an alternative culture rather than a commodity deigned upon our undeserving heads by Victory Records or an excuse for macho dudes to run into each other very hard. The out-of-press LP is worth seeking out for the 'zine insert. The music was just as formative - make sure you stick around for at least two tracks, because I'd argue that the opener functions almost as an intro.

DOWNLOAD.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's just my ears, but to me this sounds a bit like C.R. mixed with Fucked Up.

    ReplyDelete